My Problem with RISK

Our family has recently discovered the game, RISK.  For those of you not familiar with the game, the goal is to take over the world, territory by territory.  To date, my husband is undefeated.  This last time we played, I decided to play offense.  After a victorious campaign across Brazil, I felt rather satisfied....until it was my husband's move.  The "enemy" mobilized his troops and prepared war.  I was left completely defenseless because, in my pride, I risked everything to take over the opposing territories.  Soon, my entire army was destroyed.  I came in last place, behind my six year old daughter and my nine year old son.

As I sat and watched the rest of the game, I though about my fatal mistake.  In my pride, I forgot that there was an enemy lurking in the shadows.  This seems to be the case in my Christian walk as well.  It is when I THINK things are going well, that I am the most likely to fall.  Paul gives wise advise to the Corinthians in 1 Corinthians 16:13-14.  He states, "Stay alert, stand firm in the faith, show courage, be strong. Everything you do should be done in love."  Here, he exhorts the Church to stand in maturity and love rather than caving to self-serving means that are contrary to the gospel.  Our temptation is to lose our vigilance.  When we do, we are likely to give into the world.  Unfortunately, the result may be far more costly than coming in last in a board game.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember When...

My Bible Study with Mormons

The Impact of Love