Responding to "Christian Mommy Blogger" Hedonism



I am sitting at a local coffee shop reading an article of the self-revelation and self-fulfillment of a "Christian mommy blogger."  In the article, she is quoted as saying, "you enter the process of deciding whether you are going to risk every single thing in your life to have the one thing you always wanted.1"  In her case, it is a love relationship with another woman.  My heart weighs heavily as I continue reading.  My concern is not the woman's decision about her relationship, but rather her philosophy of hedonism. 

We increasingly have become a society that celebrates finding our own truth and promoting the search for self-fulfillment.  God, Jesus, or whatever other name someone wants to attach to the Supreme is merely a means of self-enlightenment.  We use others for our own advantage.  There is no room for sacrifice or dying to self. 

I feel overwhelmed.  How can I, a "Christian mommy blogger," compete with the resounding gongs of untruth resonating in the ears of millions of people?  As I pray, I come to this realization: I can't.  By myself, I am powerless over the corruption and sadness in this world.  Yet, I am not alone.  The Sovereign Lord who has called me will enable me for whatever task is at hand. 

Deuteronomy 31:6 states, "Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you He will not fail you or forsake you."  These are the words Moses proclaimed to the Israelites before they entered into the Promised Land.  The people of God knew the formidable task before them.  Yet, with them is the promise of the Unfailing God.  Their responsibility to the promise is to take courage. 

In my own life, as I reflect how I am to promote the truth of the Gospel of Jesus, I am encouraged by this promise. In my quest, I resolve to speak truth and love well in the sphere of influence God has placed me as a wife, a mom, a daughter, a friend, a church member, etc. In order to accomplish this task, I recognize the need for daily preparation with Ephesians 6:10-18.  I suppose I am taking a risk.  The message of Christ is a dividing line for some.  But the thing I want most in my life is to know and to be known by God.

My prayer is that when others see my imperfect and messy life, they see the redemptive power of Jesus.  With every personal battle, may it be a glorious pursuit to intimacy with my Heavenly Father. 

As the coffee house crowd continues to grow, so does my faith.  I will fight the good fight of faith. 

As a Christian, I will Carry On, Warrior...


http://www.elle.com/culture/a44853/glennon-doyle-melton-profile/
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember When...

My Bible Study with Mormons

The Impact of Love