The Power of Silence

In 2013, the comedic band, Ylvis, released a dance novelty song that became an unintentional hit. "The Fox" explored the question, "what sound does a fox make?", leading millions to investigate the answer for themselves.  In the end, the duo made a fortune, the world knows the vast array of vocalizations of the fox, and you now have a very catchy song in your head.  :)

I digress.  The question about the fox intrigued because we did not know the answer.  Perhaps a fox had no voice.  While a fox does indeed cry, whimper, and scream, there are animals that do not communicate by sound.  More importantly, there are people who choose not to use their voices. Self-imposed silence has been practiced since the time of Pythagoras, which was around 500 BC.  It is used as a way to bring focus to their lives or their relationship with God. 

While I have never taken a personal vow of silence, I do believe that I have become more quiet over the past several years.  I long to hear from God and I know that the more I talk, the less likely I am to hear Him.  Today, as I read Exodus 14, I noticed something for the first time within the text.  As Pharaoh and his army were coming for the recently freed Israelites at the Red Sea, God's people cried in fear. Here is Moses' response to the people found in verse 13 and 14.

13 And Moses said to the people, “Fear not, stand firm, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will work for you today. For the Egyptians whom you see today, you shall never see again. 14 The Lord will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.”

I think my highlighter always aims for the commands to fear not and stand firm.  Meanwhile, my mouth is yapping all the way through it.  For me, the testimony comes most often in the silence.  When Jesus was on the cross, He was silent.  And look at what God did.

My conviction lately is to try to keep a tight reign on my tongue (and tweets).  I might not agree with every Christian leader or every political leader.  But they have my prayers, my love, and now, my silence.  This does not mean that I will not stand up for the cause of Christ or the kingdom of God.

I ask you, as my friend, to pray for me.  To support me in my journey.  And to lovingly hold me accountable, because I am fallible.  I like to talk, so I could never be completely silent...but I want to grow closer to Christ.  If the Israelites could keep their mouths closed long enough to cross the sea, then I can work on reigning in my speech!

~CW

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember When...

My Bible Study with Mormons

The Impact of Love