Grace for the Tyrant


  

I am the proud owner of a tyrant.  In the seven months of dog ownership, Rusty has eaten through thousands of dollars of property.  In the last week alone, he has broken the screen porch, jumped the fence, chewed through rope, broken his chain, and eaten the swing cushion.  This morning, when my next-door neighbor brought him home, I almost declined her gift. 

While I love my dog, my affection for him has waned as his behavior continues to decline.  This proves my imperfect humanity.  I am so thankful that I am a child of a perfect God.  He never tires of my imperfections and mistakes.  I think of how many thousands of dollars or how many hours I have wasted, yet God’s affection for me does not waver.  His love never fails. 

Jerry Bridges writes, “God’s unfailing love for us is an objective fact affirmed over and over in the Scriptures. It is true whether we believe it or not. Our doubts do not destroy God’s love, nor does our faith create it. It originates in the very nature of God, who is love, and it flows to us through our union with His beloved Son.”

God proved his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).  He loved us so much, that even while we were in complete rebellion against Him, He allowed His Son to die in our place.

This morning, I was thinking of contingency plans for my dog if obedience training and the new fence does not work. I am so grateful that God loved me so much that there were not contingency plans for my shortcomings.  Instead, His grace covered me.  My prayer is that I may live my life in gratitude of His grace.  Perhaps, that grace may overflow to my little tyrant named Rusty.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember When...

My Bible Study with Mormons

The Impact of Love