The Impact of Love

Today, as I glanced through the hashtags of Twitter, I noticed the anger within the posts. Hearts are crying out for change and revolution. Many Christians implore action based on Christ's response to the moneychangers in the Court of the Gentiles at the temple. I read their pleas and heard their pain. I watched the marches on television yet wondered, "how does solidarity promote change?"

As I reflected, read, and prayed, I remembered what most motivates change. Looking back on the passage of Jesus at the temple, I am reminded of several things. First Jesus was angry. The vendors had made the Court of the Gentiles an unfair market place. This outer courtyard was the only place where non-Jews could go to worship and commune with the One True God. Yet, Jewish merchants profited by turning it to a place where they converted secular coins into the Jewish currency necessary to pay the Temple tax, making them no better than tax collectors. Also required was a "perfect" sacrifice. Travelers could purchase these animals in the temple courts for a marked-up price. Many of these sojourners could not afford a lamb, so they would often purchase doves instead. Our Savior turned the tables on the money changers and animal sellers because they exploited the poor in a place that was supposed to be where "outsiders" could meet with GodJesus' passion was against those who exploited the poor and neglected the true purpose of the outer courts of the temple, which was shining a light and being a blessing to the nations.

I also realized that in this encounter at the temple, Jesus loved. After Jesus cleansed the temple, he healed the blind and the lame (Matthew 21:14). His action of passion led to actions of compassion. This was later followed by His ultimate act of love on the cross.

Before Jesus endured the cross, in the Upper Room, he commanded His disciples that they were to love one another as He loved them. This is a sacrificial abiding love. As I think about this kind of love and what that looks like today, I see it as an active, responsive love. It is a love that not only marches, but moves. It not only protests, but it promotes change by being the change. Love lends the helping hand without expecting anything in return. This is where the hangup occurs. We want to love when others are being loving. We want to reach out to the victimized. But to stare at the face of your enemy and look at them through the eyes of Christ is a harder task. But it is through these lens where hearts are changed.

So, I ask myself, what can I do to love my neighbor? What is the practical way I can bear witness of why I love? My first start is that I have signed up for food delivery with my church in hopes of building relationships with the people I deliver to. It is one practical way for me to affect change.

Seeking Transformation,
Cortney


Comments

  1. I have been turning to the Lord, today, seeing my times are spent more on wordly pursuits, than with God and His Word. A backslider, in need of revival. I discovered your rendering of the Prodigal Son, now renamed correctly
    "The gracious heavenly Father".
    I have been greatly
    moved, in the reading
    of your view of this parable... It allows me to see this teaching, with a " new set of eyes".
    I now approach God,
    through Christ, as my
    loving heavenly Father, accepting me,
    "Just as I am".
    Your ministry is of great blessing to me.
    Thank you for this parable, quite often, dwelling more on the foibles (sins) of the two sons, rather than the matchless love, of my Father, for me.!
    Ian Purdie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember When...

My Bible Study with Mormons