Is Your House a House of Prayer?


This morning, I asked my kids if they knew what Jesus did on the Monday of Holy Week.  When they said that they did not, I told them that He cleansed the temple.  They wanted to know more, but seeing that the teacher was about to open the car door, I told them we would discuss it further this afternoon. 

I decided to review the story this morning.  God reminded me the reason Jesus cleansed the temple.  The people had neglected the original purpose of the temple.  Matthew 21:13 records Jesus reciting Isaiah 56:7, “my house will be called a house of prayer.” Instead, Jesus states they were making it a “den of thieves,” recalling Jeremiah 7:12.” 

As I thought about this passage, I began to ponder the implications to my own life.  Most people who know me would consider me a fairly honest person.  I try to help others and I do not intentionally hurt people.  However, the more I reflected on this passage, the more the question, “is your ‘house’ a house of prayer?”  Scripture reminds us that our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit and we are the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).  If this is the case, would my life be one that is characterized by prayer, or are there other things such as greed, selfishness, pride, jealousy, etc. that gets in the way?  I often think that I pass by the story of Jesus cleansing the temple, judging the “terrible sinners” without thinking about how Jesus might need to cleanse me. 

As I took time today to reflect and pray, God encouraged me knowing that through Christ, I am made clean and whole.  I pray that I will be known as a woman of prayer one day.  As we look this week towards the cross and resurrection, may we each pause and examine our own hearts so we might draw closer to God.

Comments

  1. Nice Blogpost. HOPCC - House of Prayer Christian Church featured on On Fire Missions Near Me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember When...

My Bible Study with Mormons

The Impact of Love