Overcoming Insecurity

When I decided to start blogging again, my mission statement was, "seeking transformation through authenticity." As I started this week, familiar whispers of insecurities began to resurface.  I perused the beautiful Easter pictures on Facebook and saw how many people "liked" everyone else's photos. Compared to my own pictures' status, I felt insignificant.  Knowing that this was no proper self-evaluation, I turned off the computer and went for a walk.  While I walked, God's grace poured over me.

In the crisp morning dew, a small wren munched a bug.  I was reminded of Matthew 6:26-27 which says, " 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?"  My concerns for popularity seemed quite trivial in comparison to the significance of God's love and provision for me.

I then listened to the melodious singing of the birds as I walked.  Each had a different chirp, but they filled the air with harmonic tones no instrument can mimic. The last time I went to Disney World, I noticed the piping of the birds while at Hollywood Studios.  I told my husband how it nice it was that you could hear the birds.  With a sly grin, he asked me to point out where a bird was.  Apparently, Disney knew the importance of birds singing for atmosphere and had a recording playing from a tree.  As I listened to the real birds on my walk, I was reminded of this experience with the point of: oftentimes significance is about enriching others so that your in your absence, your impact might be noticed.  The singing birds most likely went unnoticed until they were not present at the park.  Their sound enriched the environment, so it needed to be recreated.  In God's kingdom, our significance comes when we trust in Christ.  However, my goal as a disciple is to place my energy into things that will last, not by having my name in lights, but rather by hoping that my one day my absence will be felt by the impact I will have made.

My insecurity comes when I stray from thinking about things above and instead think about how people perceive me.  I must remember that the reason I breathe is because of my Creator.  The reason I write is a gift back to Him. If He desires others to participate in my form of worship to Him, may it be.  But in my moments of insecurity, I need to pause and think about the birds.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember When...

My Bible Study with Mormons

The Impact of Love