Easier Said Than Done: Three Ways to Live a Life of Encouragement



This past week, in our family devotional, one of the daily Scriptures was 1 Thessalonians 5:11, which states, "Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. " Over Christmas break, my darling children found this verse slightly difficult to live out to each other.  As a family, we discussed ways in which we could uplift each other and make our family stronger.

The following morning, I awoke to screams and tears.  "This is not what the Bible means when it talks about encouraging one another," I groaned to my elementary-aged bandits. The day continued with a struggle for peace.

As the week progressed, I experienced my own frustration with others in my Christian family.  In those moments, I realized that it is so much easier to go for the jugular than to respond in kindness and humility.  In our flesh, we want to "win" an argument rather than understand the person's point of view.  We try to justify the reasons for our misbehavior. We seek revenge rather than reconciliation.  Here I was, preaching to my children about encouragement and uplifting each other and I was tempted to abandon all when things did not go my way.  In stillness and surrender, I prayed for the Spirit to fill me with the means necessary to provide encouragement rather than judgment.  

In order to develop a habit of encouragement, I have resolved to try to do the following:
1. Pray for others regularly.  I have found that when I pray for those I am in conflict with, God tends to soften my heart towards their needs and convicts my attitude.
2. Think of tangible ways to inspire others.  In a world of social media, we often deceive ourselves in thinking that we are more connected with others than we actually are.  I realized at the end of last year that this was an area in which I had lapsed. Therefore, this year, I am seeking out ways to spur others on in their walk with the Lord. This can sometimes be a challenge for my introverted personality.  But, when I doubt, I remember what a difference a note, Facebook comment, text or phone call has made in my own life and it give me the courage to move forward.
3. Find a friend.  Encouragement given one way leads to burn-out.   Try to think of someone who you can ask to be your source of encouragement and that you can do the same in their life.  It might seem like a strange conversation at first, but chances are, they need you in their life as much as you need them.  

~CW


Comments

  1. Well done. I encourage you to stick with the 4 gospels. Stick with what Jesus teaches. The rest is truth. I love you like a brother or sister

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Remember When...

My Bible Study with Mormons

The Impact of Love