Changing My Attitude About Others

"Playing the violin makes me want to die!" These are words no music instructor wants to hear her student cry out in the middle of a lesson.  I calmly list all the great qualities of the treble instrument.  Within the thirty minute meltdown, the student dropped the violin, almost poked me in the eye with a bow, and threw a massive tantrum.  By the end of the lesson, when she declared she wanted to quit, I almost gave her a high-five.  With the last amount of patience I had in me, I told her to go home and think about her decision and about how much she desired to play the violin when she started.  I encouraged her that as she continued to practice, the violin would not seem so difficult.

Later that evening, as I vented to my husband, God convicted me of my words of judgment.  I only knew of her performance during the thirty minutes a week she was in studio.  I didn't know her story, but I knew she had needs.  She needed my grace and patience.  I committed to let her know she was not a lost cause and I believed in her. Rather than dreading my next lesson with her, I looked forward to it.

Within the next few weeks, the time in the classroom transformed.  My student started looking forward to her lessons and progressed at an amazing rate.  She started caring for her violin and respecting me as her teacher.  When I took a week off, she hugged me upon my return. 

As I reflect on her progress, I am continually challenged to see the potential rather than the problems in others.  God could have given up on me a long time ago.  Instead, He chose grace.  I believe it is now my duty and honor to afford others that same grace so they might see Christ in me. For 1 Peter 4:10 says,"As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace"

~CW


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remember When...

My Bible Study with Mormons

The Impact of Love